A fishing reel can be defined as a cylindrical device that is normally attached to a fishing rod. This device is used in stowing line and winding. Modern day fishing reels feature fittings that help with casting for accuracy, distance and retrieving the fishing line. Traditionally this device is used in angling, which is a recreational sport and competitive casting.
I have been researching for hours in a search of an ideal and not too expensive baitcaster and would like to share my findings with you.
Probably the Best Anti Backlash Baitcast Reels for the Fair Price are:
- Piscifun Torrent 18LB
- Abu Garcia Black Max
- KastKing Spartacus
- KastKing Stealth
- KastKing New Assassin Carbon
- Piscifun Perseus
- Lew’s Mach Crush Speed Spool
- Daiwa Fuego CT
Click Here to skip product description and keep on reading about invention and story behind the baitcaster:
When it comes to guaranteeing its clients performance and best prices Piscifun is unparalleled. This bait cast reel comes made of stainless steel, it is comfortable to use because it is very light. Piscifun designed this product to be rust resistant whether it’s being used in fresh water or salty water. It contains six powerful bearings that enable it to perform a fantastic job.
The handle of this baitcast reel is slightly bigger than those of other reels, it measures 4.33 inches, this handle allows the user to have some leverage when using this reel. The Torrent I8LB is fast and has an amazing gear ratio of 7:1:1. It handles a variety of baits, it is best suited for those that touch the bottom e.g. crank baits, Alabama baits and Spinner baits.
The reel has 120 yard line weighing 10 pounds; the reel is smooth and operates on 6 bearings.
- This is the best anti-backlash bait cast for beginners.
- It is affordable and is available in many stores that deal with fishing tools.
- The bearings are shielded to ensure the reel works for a long time without giving the user unnecessary trouble
- Its performance is remarkable; this is due to its low profile design caster. The reel has a silent high speed line retrieve that ensures the fisherman gets a great fishing experience.
- It has a unique design. This bait cast has an oil hole that makes lubricating fast and easy for the user. The handle of this reel is also uniquely designed compared to other reels.
- Gear ratios are not easily adjustable. This could make the use of this device hard for a novice.
- It’s brittle
This state of the art reel is designed by Piscifun Perseus, a company celebrated for providing fishermen across the world with top quality affordable fishing tool and products. This device is quite powerful and strong. An experienced fisherman will confirm this by just touching it.
The power it offers the user is just the tip of the ice berg, its design is the icing on the cake. This design from Piscifun has a number of features that are not available in other fishing reels in its category. For example, the Perseus, has double line winding shafts. This is a rare feature if you look at what other reels have to offer.
It has a powerful gear ratio of 6:3:1, which made from brass. Its drag capability is also impressive, 18.5Lbs. This effectively makes this baitcast reel perfect for any cover. On top of that it has a double break, one of the brakes is a 6 pin centrifugal brake that is well engineered to transform.
It features a magnetic brake that makes the control of cast very easy for the fisherman. One is also assured of accuracy while using the Perseus. The reel has 120 yard line weighing 10 pounds; the reel is smooth and operates on 6 bearings
In order to ensure the longevity of this reel, the designers were thoughtful enough to ensure that the bearings are well shielded; the use of stainless steel ensures that the device is well protected from the elements.
Apart from its fantastic blue look, this reel has a handle that measures 4.33 inches. This is certainly one of its special features. It has excellent grips made of a hard kind of rubber; this grip will ensure your grip remains on the handle even when fishing in wet conditions.
The oiling hole in the on the side plate makes the lubrication process very easy and fast. Unlike most reels in the market which you have to open the side plates to lubricate, the Perseus is designed for convenience during lubrication.
- This is one of the best anti backlash reels because it is powerful. Its magnificently strong drag system is designed to handle big fish that fights hard. This power is provided by the device’s brass gears that are paired with 3 carbon drag washers.
- Anti-corrosion, this reel is designed in a manner that ensures that it will not succumb to the effects of weather. Corrosion is a leading cause of faultiness in many reels. The Perseus is designed with anti-corrosion gears and ball bearing made of stainless still. This feature boosts the smoothness of the Perseus bait caster
- Durability, There is absolutely no need for one to invest in a fishing device that will not live to serve its purpose due to want in its making. This bait caster is made from machined brass. The brass gears provide a strong drag system for the bait cast reel.
- Smooth, the ultimate fishing performance is derived from the retrieve. This bait cast reel has a retrieve that is booth smooth and powerful.
- Great design, it comes in a great looking blue color. This bait cast has a unique feature in the form of an oil hole that helps the user lubricate it quickly and conveniently.
- Challenging to use for a first timer
- It is only available in the blue color
- The centrifugal brakes are not easy to tune
NOEBY Low Profile
It is definitely one of the best anti-backlash bait casting devices available in the market. This baitcast reel from Noeby can be used in salt water without any worry of corrosion. It is a high performing bait casting reel with a 1-7 g. lure capacity.
This bait casting reel from Noeby features a braking system that is adjustable. This allows the fisherman to comfortably the cast from the beginning of the fishing session to the very last minute. The gears of this bait casting reel are made from premium quality brass and the spool is made from aluminum and has a large line capacity.
• Sturdy construction, this bait casting reel from Noeby is constructed using premium quality brass for the gears and anodized aluminum for the spool.
• It has a powerful gear ratio that ultimately gives the device power. The gears provide the device with a strong drag power
• Corrosion resistant, the device is salt water safe; it has stainless steel ball bearings in both sides of the spool. This plays a big role in ensuring that the device is durable.
• The adjustable magnetic breaking system offers a fisherman total control of the device during his/her fishing session. This also effectively eliminates the backlash
- Like many other bait casting reels in the market, this reel from Noeby is very hard to operate if you are a beginner
- Tuning its gears is also a bit difficult for those who do not have experience with it.
Abu Garcia Black Max
- It has 24-Ton graphite that is used for a lightweight balanced design
- It has 4 stainless steel ball bearing including 1 roller bearing
- It has machined aluminum spool
- It has Dura gear brass gears
- It has power disk drag
- It has compact bent handle and star recessed reel foot
- It has gear ratios of 6.4:1
- It has magTrax brake system
Providing you with a 6ft6 that is ideal for luring fishes out of canals or fishing from a boat, this low-cost baitcasting reel is a basic, yet effective combination. It comes with a zirconium lined stainless steel guides, which offers rugged durability while allowing your line to flow smoothly without hindrance, providing you with the right performance and ensuring that you have a memorable fishing experience.
Manufactured from 24 T graphite, the blank is flexible, lightweight, strong and balanced properly with the seat of the reel. Designed by the popular Abu Garcia to ideally complement this impressive close range rod, and offering its users first-rate action under this reel. This baitcast reel also runs five stainless steel ball bearings, and a roller bearing, providing you with the best corrosion-resistant performance that you can depend on anytime.
Also furnished with Abu Garcia durage brass gears for topnotch winding power, the power disk drag system delivers sleek drag performance to subdue hard fighting fish. This baitcasting reel also comes with the advance MagTrax brake system, which allows you to fine-tune cast control to give room for an impressive number of lures and fishing.
- It fits well in your hand
- It has a power disk drag system
- It comes with a compact handle
- It has basic beginner baitcaster
Regarded as the best of the best reels by its Manufacturers, this reel, which is affordable regardless of its super-quality features, has all it takes to become the Cadillac of reels.
This reel which is a rock-solid inshore low profile baitcaster has the ability to handle doormat fluke, and gator blue fish. It is also regarded as a much affordable alternative to many expensive and conventional reels.
- It has gear ratios: 6.3:1
- It has drag power: 25 lbs.
- It has ball bearing: 11
- Centrifugal brake: anti-corrosion stainless steel main shaft and components, one-way instant stop anti-reverse
- Flat paddle-non-slip grip EVA knobs
- More line capacity for greater casting
- CNC machined aero-grade aluminum spool
Equipped with 25 pounds of drag power, it will allow anglers to make a complete braided fishing line typically utilized for catfish. Also, its strong aluminum non-flexing construction, including a 10+1 protected stainless bearing will be an addition for bull reds and saltwater stripers as well.
For high durability and power, this baitcast reel is equipped with an aluminum body and frame. This newly manufactured high-density reel also has an aero-grade aluminum spool and an anti-corrosion feature to make sure your fishing experience is much reliable and smooth.
The kastking Spartacus low profile baitcasting reel also comes with a centrifugal brake so as to prevent backlash for non-slip grip. This reel is also equipped with EVA handle.
With this efficient low profile baitcasting reel and the best fishing accessories, like a baitcasting rod and a fish finder, you should be prepared for the best and smooth fishing experience.
- It has low profile reel
- It has quick braking system
- It has corrosion resistant feature
- It has EVA handle for non-slip
- It has aluminum body and frame
- It has lightweight and durable
- The spool can be quite tricky
This baitcast reel is a high performance carbon reel that is superbly lightweight and it provides anglers with the best fishing experience. The reel comes with carbon side plates frame, and a handle equipped with carbon fiber drag system which anglers can be thankful for, particularly since the baitcasting reel also comes with a CNC machined and lightened spool to enable it spin with minute effort.
- It has carbon fiber handle
- It has right and left hand models available
- It has about 11 anti- corrosion shielded ball bearings
- It came with a year warranty
- It has firm grip EVA knobs
This beautiful piece is lightweight because it was manufactured from aerospace-grade aluminum micro gear. This reel is going to provide you with a versatile high speed heat ratio of 7.0:1 which can make a huge difference when trying to make a big catch. The kasking stealth reel are resistant to corrosion and they are a perfect choice for anglers who enjoy saltwater fishing. With the best baitcasting rod couple with this cadillac of reels, you are sure to have an epic fishing experience.
- It has an impressive drag of 16.5lbs
- It has 11 stainless steel bearing
- It takes a bit of fine tuning
This exceptional and affordable baitcasting reel is one of those fishing gears you can depend on. Kastking is popularly known for manufacturing cheap and high-quality baitcasting reels. This model in particular is quite affordable and is low profile for fishing. For its affordable price, it provides the current tech that is capable of making your fishing experience quite memorable.
KastKing New Assassin
- It has gear ratios of 6.3:1
- It has 16.5 pounds of drag
- It has strong drag
This baitcast reel was designed using carbon with optimum features like side plates and a handle uniquely designed to provide it with an impressive lightweight build. This model is known as the lightest models made by kastking.
Compared to the Kastking stealth baitcasting reel, this morning is so much lighter. It also has enough power to handle bigger fish irrespective of its lightweight.
The Kastking Assassin Carbon baitcasting reel is equipped with a dual braking system. This basically denotes that it makes use of two different systems to initiate the braking abilities that enables the spool’s speed to be fine-tuned and to also handle casts.
This reel also comes with a sleek handle, which is quite easy and comfortable to use. The fact that the reel made of carbon fiber reduces its weight.
- It is easy to use
- It has no weight
- It has a great palming feel and casting power
- It needs extra greasing bought from manufacturer
This baitcast reel comes in a small size, which makes fishing all day or all week a lot more tolerable. The reel has a shrinked frame and a lower gearing, which makes it fit well on the baitcasting rod. Its much lighter frame comes in exciting gear ratios of 6.8 and 7.5:1 on the higher end of the spectrum without putting strength and rigidity on the line. The 5.6:1 ratio reel also comes with a much wider spool that holds 150 yards of line rather than 120 yards like other models.
Lew’s Mach Crush Speed
- It has zirconia line grade
- It has solid brass gearing
- It has 9 double-shielded stainless steel
- It has one-piece aluminum frame with removable side plates
- It has zero- reverse one-way clutch bearing
- It has external lube ports
- It has machined and anodized aluminum spool.
- It has machined forged deep capacity spool SSGLS
This reel has easy adjustments and casts very well with just little adjustments required. Its line spools evenly on and off the reel without overrun and the drag is durable enough to set the hook on quality fish and take charge of the fight when needed.
It also comes with an easily adjustable MCS external magnetic brake which provides top-notch accuracy in all fishing conditions.
- It has superior accuracy
- It has great cast speed
- It needs proper maintenance
This low-cost fishing reel comes with an advanced technology, including an unmatched quality which makes it one of the best at its price. You should have an easy time when making use of this reel because of its compact design.
Daiwa Fuego CT
- It has ball bearing; 5BB, 1RB
- It has Infinite anti-reverse, aluminum frame, air rotation, magforce z cast control
- It has ultimate tournament carbon drag UTD with 13.2lbs of drag
The reel also provides a magnetic braking tech which results in an alterable cast control and a very impressive backlash management. The daiwa fuego baitcasting reel is designed with a palm-size aluminum frame so as to make it more durable, lightweight and last longer.
Story of a baitcaster:
Bait-casting reel is also referred to as the revolving-spool reel. Like the normal reel, this reel is a multiplying reel. In a multiplying reel, the line is kept inside a bearing that is supported by a revolving spool. The effect of this is that a single revolution of the crank leads to the spool revolving multiple times. In Australia and New Zealand for example, the bait casting reel is referred to as the overhead reel due to the fact that it is mounted above the fishing rod.
The first bait casting reels were originally made with iron gears or brass. Spools and castings were often made of hard rubber, German silver or brass. They featured multiplying gears that ranged from 2:1 to 4:1. Unfortunately, these first reels lacked a drag mechanism, forcing anglers to apply their thumbs on the spool to apply resistance made by the fish they were catching.
Most fishing reels are designed in a way that the reel is suspended from the bottom of the fishing rod, this positioning of the reel requires the user to use no wrist strength to overcome the force of gravity. This effectively allows the angler to cast and retrieve his/her catch without necessarily changing hands.
On a light note, the awkward positioning of the bait casting reel atop of the rod has been described by some people as an accident of history. Unlike the rest of the reels, the bait casting reel was rotated in an upside down fashion so as to allow the user to operate its crank handle while retrieving the line or playing a fish.
Flash forward to 2018, most bait casting reels are constructed from Aluminum, synthetic composite materials or stainless steel. The manufacturers normally include a level- wind system that stops the line from being caught under itself on the spool. This happens during interfering and rewind when the user makes subsequent casts.
A good number of bait casting reels are also fitted with anti-reverse handles together with drags specifically designed to ensure runs by powerful and large fish are slowed down. The bait casting reel utilizes both the weight and momentum of the lure to pull the fishing line from the rotating spool. In order to cast a significant distance, one is advised to use a lure that weighs ¼ OZ.
ecent technological advancements have made it possible for us to have bait casting reels with gear ratios going as high as 7.1/1. The higher the gear ratio the faster one can retrieve the line. The only down side to this is that one will have to use more strength due to the fact that additional gear teeth reduce torque and the strength of the gear train.
Most modern bait casting reels allow the user to adjust their spool tension. This can be done by the use of a centrifugal break, an adjustable spool tension or a magnetic. This greatly minimizes the overrun of the spool as you cast and the snare of the line that is resultant during casting. This line snare is popularly referred to as the backlash.
Colloquially, the back lash is also referred to as the birdie or bird’s nest. The back lash is caused by the angular momentum of the spool and line. Whenever a lure of different weight is attached, it is important to remember to adjust the cast control appropriately. The bait casting reel is specifically made to function well with a wide selection of fishing lines.
Majority of the bait casting reels produced today can also be palmed so as to increase their drag, halt the lure accurately at any given point during the cast or set the hook. Bait casting reels are popularly known as multiplier reels in Europe. This is because, by turning the handle once, the result is multiple turns of the spool.
How does a bait cast reel operate?
For one to operate this device, turn the reel on its side, engage the free spool feature, place your thumb on the spool so as to hold the lure in its proper position. The cast is done by simply snapping the fishing rod backwards; cast it forward in a gentle manner so as to allow the lure to pull the line from the reel.
The thumb is used for the purpose of contacting the line by moderating the spool’s revolutions and breaking the lure the moment it gets to the desired point. Modern magnetic or centrifugal braking mechanisms help control the backlash.
Users of bait casting reels should be advised that, using it requires one to put in some time to practice so as to acquire a certain degree of finesse that enables the fisherman to get the best possible results.
What should you catch using the bait casting reel?
Bait casting reels are excellent for those fishermen who enjoy casting very long distances. This is made possible by their spools. The heavier the lure, the greater the distance you will able to cast, this means, a fisher man should always have the weight of the lure in mind at all times.
This type of fishing reel is also employed in catching bigger species of fish game, the gears have more power and offer the fisher man more control. A bait casting reel will offer you what other reels can’t especially if you are fighting a monster fish which fights and pulls hard.
Who needs to use bait casting reels?
This type of fishing device is quite powerful and requires a certain degree of mastery in order to use it effectively. Therefore, the best suited people to use this reel are those that have been fishing for a while and have used a variety of other fishing reels. This gives them the much needed experience of understanding the mechanism of the bait casting reel.
Because this type of reel is harder to master its use compared to other reels, it is most often used by professional anglers or those fishermen who have experience with it. Last but not least, if you are looking to catch fish like, pike, bass or salmon, a bait casting reel will come in handy during your fishing expedition.
Maintenance of bait casting reels
In order for one to get the best fishing experience using the bait cast reel, it is of utmost importance that you keep your reel in tip top condition. Always ensure that you lubricate the devices key areas so as to ensure that the gears engage properly with little resistance. The lubrication also helps avoid sticking.
Maintaining your bait cast reel also ensures that the reel serves you for a longer period. Ultimately this means you won’t end up spending more money than you anticipated buying another bait cast within a short time.
Advantages of using baitcaster
- The main advantage bait casting reels have over other reels is the fact that they are able to handle heavier and stronger forms of lines. This is quite handy for a fisherman looking to catch huge game fish.
- The issue of their accuracy and control also places this type of reel above other reels. Once you have acquired the skill for using this type of reel it becomes quite easy and convenient for the user.
- They necessitate touch and feel. Once the user gets over the small snag, he/she will notice that bait casters are excellent in lure, in terms of accuracy and casting distance.
- They come in right and left handed versions to accommodate all fishermen.
- A user can control how fast the spool spins by adjusting it to suit their needs. This is because the centrifugal or magnetic mechanism used for its braking system controls the speed of the spinning spool, the system also controls the speed at which the line is released during casting.
- Bait casting reels are placed on top of the fishing rod so as to allow the line to be pulled off from the spool by the lure’s weight, and not the force behind the cast. The lure’s weight should be equal to the specifications of the fishing rod so as to attain the best distance and handling experience.
- Another major advantage this type of reel has over other fishing reels is the fact that its features can be used in combination for the main purpose of tackling hard fighting fish game and those that are hard running.
- Bait casting reel manufacturers make this type of reel with novice fishermen in mind. The gear ration can be adjusted to allow a novice fisherman to enjoy fishing as he/she learn how to use the bait cast properly. A gear ratio of 5:1 is best suited for beginners.
- The brakes of the bait casting reels allow the user to stop, slow down and control the spool immediately the bait hits the water. This also helps one control how far the lure drops.
- They use a variety of heavy lines from fluorocarbon, copolymer and heavy Dacron wire.
- It features an anti-reverse gear that comes in handy during cranking. It is another method of control; the gear minimizes play in the handle by stopping it from spinning backwards. The backward spin causes the user to lose power when cranking.
- The level wind feature of the bait casting reel evenly distributes the line on the spool when winding so that the fisherman does not have to guide the line manually.
- They offer more crank power and are very durable.
It has been noted by some fishermen, that some of the features that make the anti-backlash bait casting reel an indispensable tool for many pro anglers are the same things that make it a total nightmare for those bait casters who are novices in the game. However, with practice, guidance and patience any fisherman willing to learn how to use this device can indeed master its operation.
Disadvantages of baitcasting reels
- Beginners find it quite hard to use this type of reel at first. For one to properly use the bait casting reel, one need s to spend time practicing, this puts off many novices.
- They are hard to use, they are harder to use than any other reel in the market due to the fact that one has to use the thumb bar addition. It also requires a casting technique to begin.
- Bait casting reels are expensive compared to other casting reels on the market.